Sunday, January 20, 2013

Strawberry Lemon Sorbet

So to finish off our New Years Eve dinner, we had to have something yummy for dessert. As if stuffing our faces with focaccia bread, meatballs and sausage wasn't enough. We decided it would be best to go with something light since dinner consisted of meat, bread and pasta and when I saw this recipe over at The Way the Cookie Crumbles, I was instantly sold. Since it is the middle of the winter and strawberries are not in season I opted to use frozen, this way I could guarantee they would be nice and sweet. Also frozen fruit is usually a staple in our house because it makes it super easy to whip up a smoothie on the go. So it just made the most sense to go with what I had on hand, and I would encourage you to do the same.
I also took the liberty of adding extra lemon zest because when we tasted the puree before freezing it, it seemed a little light on the lemon. The finished product ended up just a little more tart than I wanted so next time I think I would omit the extra zest and stick to the recipe.
This was only our second time using the ice cream maker attachment-- and I noticed that this time more of the puree seemed to leak over the edges. The vanilla ice cream recipe that we made yielded about a quart while this recipe makes about a quart and a half and it seems as though that makes a significant difference when freezing. Also the sorbet froze much more quickly then the ice cream-- and I'm not complaining! We threw it in the freezer to firm up a little more and enjoyed it after we no longer felt like we were going to explode from dinner. And boy was it yummy! We had plenty of vanilla ice cream left, so we topped it with a dollop of that-- which helped cut the extra tartness. Yum. Will definitely be making this again soon!

Find the recipe here.



No comments:

Post a Comment